1)  How do I know when I have to pay a deposit?

If you are renting or buying on contract, you have to pay deposits.  If you are buying through a bank, you do not have to pay deposits.  If you have bought a trailer but are renting the lot, then you have to pay deposits.

2)  What do I have to do to get utilities in the City of Scottsburg?

You need to bring to City Hall a copy of the lease or rental agreement, a picture ID and your deposit(s).

3)  How much are the deposits?

The deposits are $100 for Electric and $100 for Water.  At this time, there is no deposit for Sewer.

4)  If I am moving, will my deposit transfer to my new address?

No, we do not transfer deposits.  The deposit at your old address will be applied to your final bill.  You will have to pay deposits on your new address.

5)  When will I receive my first bill?

We bill a month behind.  For example, if you come in and pay deposits on September 15th, you will receive your first bill on November 1st.

6)  What are the office hours?

We are open Monday – Friday from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.  We are closed on Saturdays, Sundays and most major holidays.

7)  How do I report a power outage after hours?

Call Dispatch at 752-5550

8)  I need assistance with paying my bill, who can I call?

OVO: 1-800-928-1232

Trustee: 812-752-2280

Clearinghouse: 812-752-0123

American Red Cross: 812-522-3888

Salvation Army: 812-265-2157

9)  I want to fish from my boat at Scottsburg Lake.  Do I need a permit?

Yes and they are available at City Hall.  The cost is $5 per permit.  When you come to City Hall, you will be issued a permit and permit #.  The permit # has to be on your boat.  We do not have numbers here.  You will have to purchase them elsewhere.

10)  My utilities have been disconnected.  How much is the reconnect fee?

Electric reconnect fee is $50

Water reconnect fee is $50

Broadband reconnect fee is $25

11)  I see a new charge on my bill called the Hydrant Fee.  What is that?

The city rents the fire hydrants from the Water Department.  The City paid for the  rent from revenue from property taxes.  Since property taxes have been lowered, we lost revenue.  It costs the City approximately $200,000 per year to rent the hydrants.  Unfortunately, we had to pass some of that cost to the consumer.

12)  I live in the Hosea Addition.  What is my Misc Water Charge?

That is a Fire Protection Surcharge.  It is based on the number of hydrants in the Hosea Addition and the number of residents.

13)  I have been served papers that I’m being sued by the City, can I pay my old bill at City Hall?

If you have been sued and it’s before your court date, you can still pay your bill at City Hall.  You will have to sign an agreed judgment to take over to the courthouse and pay the court fees.  If it is after your court date, you will have to pay your bill at the Court House.

14)  My Security Light is out, what do I need to do?

Call City Hall at 812-752-4343.  Before we can do a work order to have the light replaced, we need the numbers off the pole.  They are located about eye level on the pole.

15)  Where can I buy SASCO bags?

You can buy them at City Hall, Wal-Mart, Jay-C Store, ACE Hardware and Sav-A-Lot.

16)  When is recycling picked up?

If you live East of Hwy 31, your recycling days are the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of each month.  If you live West of Hwy 31, your recycling days are the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of each month.  Schedules are available at City Hall.  You may also visit the website www.vipwastedisposal.com for a schedule.

17)  I would like to rent a CityPark shelter, who do I call?

You can call City Hall for pricing and availability.  We cannot reserve shelters until the rent and deposit are paid at City Hall.

18)  What shelters are available to rent?

The Interurban at Lake Iola, Opened and Closed shelters at Beechwood Park, The Warrior Reservation and The Train Depot.

19) Who do I call if my Broadband service is not working?

Call 812-752-7204 for assistance.

20)  I’ve had a water leak, can I get an adjustment on my water or sewer bill?

To get an adjustment, you can bring receipts in to City Hall.  We will copy them and submit them to the Board of Works or Water Board for approval.

21)  I’ve filled my swimming pool, can I get an adjustment on the sewer?

Yes, call City Hall and let us know you’ve filled your pool.  The adjustment is sent to the Board of Works for approval.  If it is approved, we will do an adjustment on your sewer.  The way we figure the adjustment is:  The total water consumption – your average = the amount used to fill your pool.

22)  I’m moving.  How do I discontinue my utility service?

Come into City Hall and sign Work Orders to get the service out of your name and give us your forwarding address.  Also, at that time if you have paid a deposit, we will have you sign a claim for your deposit.

23)  When and where does the Board of Works meet?

The Board of Works meets the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month at 2 PM in the Council Room at City Hall.

24)  When and where does the Water Board meet?

The Water Board meets the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month at 4:30 PM in the Council Room at City Hall.